FREE ASSOCIATIVE EXPERIMENT AS A MEANS OF CONSTRUCTION OF THE ASSOCIATIVE FIELD OF THE CONCEPT CAT
The relevance of the work is determined by the need to use the methodology of an associative experiment, because it allows to identify a set of paradigmatic and syntagmatic related verbal representations of concepts in the text, as well as a system of associations generated by them. The «field» of reactions received on a stimulus word gives reason to interpret the psychological structure of the meaning of the base word as a complex phenomenon, characterized by a number of parameters, in particular those in which a certain emotionality is clearly traced.
The purpose of this article is to simulate the associative field of the CAT concept using the data from a free associative experiment.
The object of the study is the English concept CAT, as a stimulus word in an associative experiment.
The article discusses the issue of constructing the associative field of the CAT concept using the methods of a free associative experiment. In connection with the development of new linguistic disciplines, the method of associative experiment is actively used to construct associations in the consciousness of the individual and the ethno-consciousness. The method of a free associative experiment allows for a fairly rigorous quantitative assessment of the qualities that are diagnosed.
An associative experiment is the identification of the connections of representations caused by previous experience and due to which one representation that appears in the mind causes on the basis of similarity, contiguity, or opposition another one. In general, associative experiments are aimed at identifying features of the conceptualization of the image in the national language picture of the world. In the speech process, the individual operates not words, but associative fields, of which he chooses the necessary word for expressing his thoughts and ideas. Аn associative experiment helps to understand how the speech capacity of a person who is able to think, speak and understand is constructed. It is believed that this technique is mostly used in the study of elements of speech consciousness. The method of associative experiment reflects the cognitive structures in the mental vocabulary of the native speaker and provides an opportunity to study how the environment influences the outlook and perception of the individual.
An associative experiment demonstrates itself as an effective method for analyzing the conceptual sphere of both a specific individual and a community, however, this technique does not deny the contextual and logical analysis of meanings. The value of the concept for the individual is primarily associative and is revealed to obtain an associative chain to the appropriate stimulus.
The result of this study is that the associative field of the CAT concept is formed by lexemes that record culturally and socially significant information about this concept, related to the animal's habits, its appearance, character and behavior.
1. Абрамов В. Теория ассоциативного поля. Русский язык: Исторические судьбы и современность. Москва. 2001. С. 124–125.
2. Болотнова Н. С. Об основных понятиях и категориях коммуникативной стилистики текста. Москва. 2001. № 3. С. 123 – 131;
3. Горошко Е.И. Интегративная модель свободного ассоциативного эксперимента. Харьков. 2001. 320 с.
4. Паутова Л. А. Ассоциативный эксперимент. Москва. 2007. С. 149-168.
5. Психологический словарь / под ред. В. В. Давыдова. Москва : Педагогика, 1983. С.24 – 26
6. Щур Г. С. О типах лексических ассоциаций в языке. Семантическая структура слова: Психолингвистические исследования. Москва. : Наука, 1971. С. 140 – 151.
7. Kiss G.R. An associative thesaurus of English and its computer analysis. Edinburgh : University Press. 1973. P. 153-165.